CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Recipe: Creamy Pasta with Mushrooms

I have been so excited to share this recipe, as it is a personal favorite of mine at the moment! One thing I really miss about being off of dairy is the ability to have creamy pasta dishes. I saw this recipe in one my of favorite cookbooks at the moment (which I do highly recommend!) I saw that she used white beans in order to create a creamy texture and I just had to try it!

We modified the recipe a bit. For one, it calls for 3 strips of uncured pork or turkey bacon (cooked and chopped). We could not find any turkey bacon that declares itself "gluten-free" so we skipped this. We also changed the ingredient amounts, adding more beans for an even creamier texture, less garlic (so the girls would eat it) and 1/2 the canola oil mentioned.

We also added 2 cooked skinless chicken breasts, sliced up. This was a wonderful addition! It reminded me of my favorite Italian restaurant's "House special"-with the only difference being that their chicken was breaded. Next time I hope to "bread" the chicken beforehand.

I was very impressed, and absolutely loved it! I have made it a couple times since, in order to have it for lunch. I even made it for my husband's parents, and I don't think they even realized it had beans in it :)

So enjoy!


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4-5 tablespoons of white beans, pureed (we used some of the canola oil to puree beans in blender)
  • 3-4 medium mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 fresh basil leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
  • 1/2 pound cooked corn spaghetti (or any other acceptable spaghetti noodle)
  • 1-2 skinless chicken breasts, cooked and sliced.

In a small saucepan, combine the oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Simmer over very low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the beans, mushroom and basil (if you wish to add bacon, add this as well)
Simmer for another 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add to the cooked pasta, and toss to distribute the sauce evenly. Add the chicken slices and serve!

If you plan to fee more people and use more pasta, definitely double the sauce!



7 comments:

SimplyFoodOnline said...

I can't wait to try this recipe! It sounds great.

Julie B said...

thanks! Please do and tell me what you think of it!

SimplyFoodOnline said...

Julie...I made it and it was awesome!! I only changed one thing, I used Whole Wheat Pasta instead of corn. But, we don't have a gluten problem at our house...however we did at one point and I used to use the corn pasta over the rice, I thought it had a much better flavor. Can I put the recipe on my website? I would love to share it with people I know. Thanks!!

Julie B said...

I am so glad you liked it! You can certainly post the recipe if you would like :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds like it would be successful in our house. We've never heard of corn spaghetti though. We've only found the brown rice spaghetti -- and it hasn't bee well received.

thanks for sharing!

Julie B said...

Thanks for stopping by! The brown rice spaghetti didn't go over too well at our house either! I LOVE the corn spaghetti-it has such a great texture, very close to "regular" pasta and tastes pretty good! We use Mrs. Leepers corn spaghetti, which we buy in bulk from our buying club. Are you in the United States? I could give you the website for our buying club to see if there is one in your area....it's for all natural foods and it has really helped us out!
Oh-and we tried the corn elbow pasta last night-another big hit :)

Tamara said...

Julie - I am going to try this when I get some good fresh basil in a couple weeks. And of course, after I find some corn spaghetti. I am really excited about that - thanks so much for stopping by my blog and suggesting it.